Ready-to-assemble (RTA) cabinets are a type of kitchen or bathroom storage solution that are purchased in a flat-pack format and assembled by the consumer. They are a cost-effective alternative to traditional cabinets that are made and installed by a professional. RTA cabinets offer a convenient and affordable option for homeowners looking to update their storage spaces, whether it be for a full kitchen remodel or a simple refresh.
How are RTA Cabinets Made?
RTA cabinets are typically made with a combination of materials, including particleboard or MDF (medium-density fiberboard) for the cabinet boxes and doors, and wood veneers or laminate for the exterior finish. The use of particleboard and MDF allows for a lower cost production process, as these materials are less expensive than solid wood. However, they are still durable and can be finished to mimic the look of real wood. The cabinets come with all the necessary hardware, such as screws and mounting plates, for assembly.
One of the benefits of RTA cabinets is the ability to choose from a wide range of sizes and styles to fit the specific needs and aesthetic of a home. Many RTA cabinet retailers offer an online design tool or in-store assistance to help customers visualize and customize their storage layouts. The cabinets are then shipped directly to the customer’s home, ready for assembly.
Benefits of Using RTA Cabinets
There are several benefits to using RTA cabinets:
- Cost: As mentioned, RTA cabinets are generally more affordable than traditional cabinets, as they do not require the labor and installation costs of professionally made cabinets. This makes them a budget-friendly option for those looking to update their storage spaces.
- Customization: RTA cabinets offer a high level of customization, allowing homeowners to choose from a variety of sizes, styles, and finishes to suit their specific needs and preferences. This is especially useful for those with irregularly shaped or sized spaces that may not fit standard cabinet dimensions.
- Easy to Assemble: RTA cabinets come with clear instructions and all the necessary hardware for assembly, making it a relatively straightforward process for the average DIYer.
- Flexibility: Because RTA cabinets are not permanently installed, they can be easily disassembled and moved to a new location if needed. This is a useful feature for those who may be renting or anticipating a move in the near future.
Tips for Assembling and Installing RTA Cabinets
Assembling RTA cabinets can be a relatively simple process with the right tools and a bit of patience. Here are a few tips to make the process go smoothly:
- Make sure you have all the necessary tools on hand, including a drill, screwdriver, and hammer. It may also be helpful to have a level, measuring tape, and a rubber mallet.
- Carefully follow the instructions and take your time to ensure everything is properly aligned and secured. It may be helpful to have a second person assist with holding pieces in place while screws are tightened.
- Work on a clean, flat surface to ensure accuracy and stability. A table or workbench is ideal, but a floor will also work as long as it is free of debris and obstacles.
- If you are uncertain about any part of the process, don’t hesitate to seek help or clarification. Many RTA cabinet retailers offer customer support or online resources to help with assembly questions.
- It may be helpful to lay out all the pieces and hardware before beginning assembly to get a sense of the overall process and to ensure that nothing is missing.
- Take breaks as needed, and don’t rush the process. Assembling cabinets can be a time-consuming task, but it is important to work slowly and accurately to ensure a successful outcome.
- Consider using wood glue on joints for added stability. This is especially helpful for lower cabinets that may bear the weight of heavy items.
Ready-to-assemble cabinets are a cost-effective and customizable storage solution for the kitchen or bathroom. With a little bit of elbow grease and following the tips above, they can be easily assembled by the average DIYer. Just be sure to follow the instructions and take your time to ensure a successful outcome.
We Make Ready-to-assemble (RTA) cabinets in 🌵 Phoenix, Arizona Call 602-354-3452
Our team is ready to get your design into production and deliver your products on time and locally saving you tons on shipping! Call us at 602-354-3452. You’ll be glad you did. We offer ready-to-assemble RTA cabinets made with EGGER, AGT, Tafisa, Formica, Wilsonart, or PRISM made-to-order in Phoenix, Arizona.